All the information you need to succeed already exists, the problem is you haven’t exposed yourself to it.” – Jim Rohn
The following list represents a collection of organizations, journals, online textbooks, equipment catalogs, and general resources that will benefit any Orthopaedic Certified Specialist as well as those preparing for the OCS exam.
Professional Organizations and Sections
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) – representing more than 90,000 member physical therapists (PTs), physical therapist assistants (PTAs), and students of physical therapy. APTA seeks to improve the health and quality of life of individuals in society by advancing physical therapist practice, education, and research, and by increasing the awareness and understanding of physical therapy’s role in the nation’s health care system.
- American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS) – coordinates and oversees the specialist certification process, is the governing body for certification and recertification of clinical specialists.
- Orthopaedic Section (APTA) – provides a forum for those with an interest in the management of patients with musculoskeletal disorders. Publications: monthly Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy (JOSPT) and quarterly Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Practice (OPTP).
- Sports Physical Therapy Section (APTA) – addresses the needs of its members who are interested in athletic injury management, including acute care, treatment and rehabilitation, prevention, and education. Publications: Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy (JOSPT) and North American Journal of Sports Physical Therapy.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapists (AAOMPT) – is a national organization committed to excellence in Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapy practice, education and research. Fellows of the AAOMPT provide the highest level of musculoskeletal care through advanced manual therapy practice. AAOMPT also purchases and provides members an electronic subscription to the Journal of Manual and Manipulative Therapy. AAOMPT is not the publisher/owner of the JMMT.
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) – supports and disseminates research based knowledge to improve athletic performance and fitness.
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) – promotes fitness, health and quality of life through research, education and practical applications of sports medicine.
- Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy (JOSPT) – publishes scientifically rigorous, clinically relevant content for physical therapists and others in the health care community to advance musculoskeletal and sports-related practice.
- Physical Therapy – official journal of the American Physical Therapy Association
- Journal of Manual and Manipulative Therapy (JMMT) – an international peer-reviewed journal dedicated to the publication of original research, case reports, and reviews of the literature that contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the field of manual therapy, clinical research, therapeutic practice, and academic training.
- Spine – an international, peer-reviewed, bi-weekly periodical that considers for publication original articles in the field of Spine. It is the leading subspecialty journal for the treatment of spinal disorders.
- The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research (JSCR) – The editorial mission is to advance the knowledge about strength and conditioning through research.
- Wheeless’ Textbook of Orthopaedics – presented by Duke University Medical Center’s Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, in conjunction with Data Trace Internet Publishing, LLC, this is a true head to toe, comprehensive discussion of orthopaedic topics.
- Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Products (OPTP) – providing healthcare and fitness professionals with orthopedic, physical therapy, rehabilitation and fitness products.